Bentley College Marketing- Honors

This blog is for MK 402-H01 and the greater Bentley College population.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Different Dunks

April 11, 2006

Rather than writing about uses for blogs in marketing or other emerging technologies in the field, Toby chose to write about something totally different for this week: Nabisco’s latest marketing idea for its Oreo cookie. The classic American cookie sandwich has come out with an oblong-shaped Oreo cookie to improve the ease of dunking Oreos in milk: “Oreo Dunkers.” This is a drastic change for Oreo, which has never changed the shape of its cookie before (other than the Oreo 100 Calorie Pack snacks that it released a year or so ago – but those don’t claim to be authentic Oreo cookies). It does, however, reflect that Oreo has been trying eagerly to retain its market share in recent years.
I remember when I was growing up and there were only two varieties of Oreos to choose from: regular or Double Stuf, which boasted twice the amount of sweet frosting. A few years later, as a result of the American low fat/reduced fat/fat free trend, Oreo released its Reduced Fat Oreos. However, until this point an Oreo was still virtually the same Oreo, whether it was the original, Double Stuf, or Reduced Fat: vanilla crème frosting sandwiched by two round chocolate wafers.
It is evident that the Oreo cookie has reached the maturity stage in its life cycle, and the brand has appropriately taken several steps to prevent the cookie from fading out of America’s cookie jars. Over the past few years, Nabisco has launched many different flavors and varieties of the traditional cookie. Some of these include: Chocolate Crème Oreo, Golden Oreo Original, Fudge Covered Oreo, Fudge Mint Covered Oreo, Golden Oreo Chocolate Crème, Double Delight Oreo Mint ‘n’ Crème, Double Delight Oreo Peanut Butter & Chocolate, Milk Chocolate Covered Oreo and Milk Chocolate Covered Mint Oreo. Additionally, Nabisco has released many Oreo baking supplies, such as Oreo Crumbs, Oreo Chocolate Cones, Oreo Jello Pudding… the list goes on.
This blog is marketing related for obvious reasons. It provides an example of a company launching effective marketing campaigns once its product has reached maturity. Rather than give up on the brand, Nabisco has embraced the Oreo and gotten creative with it. By introducing new product lines under the Oreo name, the cookie is able to retain original Oreo lovers, who will most likely continue buying the original Oreo and may also try some of the new releases, while additionally attracting today’s children. These young consumers may not have the same nostalgia for the Oreo as their parents and grandparents do, but they are exposed to so many options in the dessert aisle of the store and the Oreo gives them the opportunity to choose the Oreo that is right for them. In effect, this means that Oreo is striving to create an “Oreo consumer identity,” allowing the consumers to identify themselves by which Oreo suits their individual desires and tastes. Similar measures have been taken all over the candy industry – Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups now offer an abundance of shapes and varieties of the original concept; the same goes for Kit Kat bars and many other candies that have been in the market for as long as anyone (or at least I) can remember. Apparently these cookie companies are doing something right, because they consume more shelf space than ever before with their many varieties.
Oreo’s story informs marketing by providing an example of a product in its maturity stage that has been able to retain market share and to remain innovative in a constantly changing world. By remaining creative and thinking outside the box, Oreo has been able to continuously hold the attention of dessert consumers of all ages.
The blog improved my understanding of marketing by reinforcing the ideas stated above. While I knew that mature products should strive to create marketing campaigns aimed at retaining marketing share, Oreo was able to refresh this concept in my mind and provide concrete examples. It also made me contemplate the motives which spawned the emergence of the modern day varieties of our old candy classics. By continuously launching new product lines, candy brands can keep attracting new buyers while retaining the loyal ones and potentially even getting more money from those traditional customers.
My critique of the blog is really of what Toby mentions after the Oreo Dunker; she attempts to segue into astrology and throws in an “Astro Tips” section. I would be interested in reading horoscopes, but I’m not sure what exactly those have to do with marketing, or why she only decided to publish the horoscope section once.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Toby said...

Karina - yours is an excellent analysis of how a mature brand might be able to capture additional share/new audience by changing one characteristic of the product...in this case the shape.

Wanted to shed some light on the astrology part of that post. When I started Diva I wanted an excuse to go off topic into something that might be non marketing but was fun and light hearted. So I began a feature - "Friday Fun." Consider it a bit of a happy hour playground or as a reader put it "recess" after a hard week of work.

Astro Tips is intended to be an on-going part of Friday Fun. (We'll see if the guest bloggers keep it up!).

What I learned from your post was that I should add a consistent intro tag to all Friday Fun posts to ensure the new readers understand the concept of the post.

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 10:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Do you guys watch movies in theater or on internet? I use to rent DVD movies from [b]Redbox.com[/b]. Recently I discovered that we can watch all new movies on internet on day, they are released. So why should I spend money on renting movies??? So, can you guys please tell me where I can [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]watch latest movie The Toxic Avenger 2010[/url] for free?? I have searched [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Youtube.com[/url], [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Dailymotion.com[/url], [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Megavideo.com[/url] but, Could not find a good working link. If you know any working link please share it with me.


Thanks

Sunday, April 11, 2010 12:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thankfulness to my father who shared with me concerning this web
site, this web site is genuinely amazing.

Also visit my website :: business continuity plan software

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If some one wants expert view on the topic of blogging afterward
i advise him/her to go to see this website, Keep up the pleasant job.


Stop by my website - workouts to improve vertical

Friday, April 12, 2013 8:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not my first time to pay a visit this website, i am browsing this web site dailly and get good facts from here every day.

my website: http://allahswali.com/index.php?do=/profile-3084/info/

Friday, April 12, 2013 10:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the perfect site for anybody who hopes to understand this topic.
You realize so much its almost tough to argue with you (not that I actually will need
to…HaHa). You certainly put a new spin on a
subject that has been discussed for many years. Excellent stuff, just great!


Feel free to surf to my web page: exercises To improve vertical Leap

Friday, April 12, 2013 11:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a
few of the images aren't loading correctly. I'm not sure why
but I think its a linking issue. I've tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same results.

my blog post exercises to increase vertical jump

Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My relatives always say that I am killing my time here at web,
except I know I am getting know-how all the time by reading such good articles.


Feel free to visit my blog post; exercises for vertical jump

Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could definitely see your enthusiasm in the article you write.
The sector hopes for more passionate writers like
you who aren't afraid to say how they believe. All the time follow your heart.

My blog post ... vacation contests and giveaways 2013

Monday, April 15, 2013 8:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simply desire to say your article is as astounding.
The clearness in your put up is simply excellent and that i
can suppose you are knowledgeable in this subject.

Well along with your permission let me to clutch
your feed to stay updated with coming near near
post. Thanks 1,000,000 and please continue the
gratifying work.

My blog: Exercises To Improve Vertical

Monday, April 15, 2013 6:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or blog posts in this sort of space .
Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this
site. Reading this information So i'm satisfied to exhibit that I have a very good uncanny feeling I found out exactly what I needed. I such a lot indubitably will make sure to do not forget this site and give it a look on a constant basis.

Feel free to visit my web blog :: exercises for vertical jump

Sunday, May 05, 2013 9:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An impressive share! I've just forwarded this onto a colleague who had been doing a little homework on this. And he actually bought me dinner because I stumbled upon it for him... lol. So let me reword this.... Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending the time to talk about this issue here on your website.

Look at my webpage: charleston sc bed and breakfast

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 1:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your
web site, how can i subscribe for a weblog website?
The account aided me a acceptable deal. I have been tiny bit familiar of this your
broadcast offered vibrant transparent idea

Feel free to visit my weblog :: www.customcarthailand.com

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 2:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing things here. I'm very glad to see your post. Thank you a lot and I am having a look ahead to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

Here is my blog post: http

Saturday, May 11, 2013 11:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very great post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to mention that I've truly loved browsing your blog posts. After all I'll be subscribing on your
feed and I hope you write once more soon!

Feel free to visit my web blog: exercises for vertical

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Superb post however I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject?
I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Thanks!

my page medicine ball exercises obliques

Saturday, May 18, 2013 3:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having read this I thought it was really informative.

I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this short article
together. I once again find myself personally spending way too much
time both reading and leaving comments. But so what, it
was still worth it!

Check out my page viavio.net

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 1:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am in fact happy to read all
at one place.

my website :: http://environment.phc.edu.tw/userinfo.php?uid=8761

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Quick question that's entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My site looks weird when viewing from my iphone. I'm
trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to fix
this problem. If you have any recommendations, please share.
Thanks!

Visit my web page; mysocial.ws

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy! This blog post couldn't be written any better! Going through this article reminds me of my previous roommate! He always kept talking about this. I am going to send this post to him. Pretty sure he will have a great read. Thanks for sharing!

My web site - workouts to jump higher

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article.
I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information.
Thanks for the post. I will certainly return.

Here is my site - workouts to increase vertical leap

Thursday, May 23, 2013 8:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thаnk you fοr ѕharing your info.
I trulу appгeciate your effοrts аnd I will be waіtіng for your next write upѕ
thanks onсe again.

Also νisіt my homepage ... diamondlinks review

Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home