Bentley College Marketing- Honors

This blog is for MK 402-H01 and the greater Bentley College population.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

To Be Searched or Not To Be Searchable

April 24, 2006
In one of Toby Bloomberg’s most recent blogs entitled Diva Marketing - A Leader In Marketing Blogs, she makes a great point while simultaneously (and obviously unintentionally) tooting her own horn. Toby reflects on a recent study conducted by iProspect where the company analyzed search behavior trends by modern Internet users and reported their findings on consumer beliefs about companies found via online searches.

Overall, the results of the survey revealed two major points:

1. When searching online, it is crucial for companies to arise on one of the first pages. According to the study, “62% of search engine users click on links returned within the first page of search hits. A full 90% of users click on hits within the first three pages of search results. “

2. Consumers typically believe that the top results for internet searches are likely to be the industry leaders. “Among search engine users, 36% believe that the companies whose websites are listed at the top of the search results are also the leading brands.”
(quotes taken from http://www.emarketer.com/Article.aspx?1003922)

This story is marketing related because marketers could definitely use the information presented to help them evaluate their own websites. Website design is a critical part of marketing, especially in today’s internet-savvy world, but the behind-the-scenes navigations are just as important. What good does it do for your company if you produce the best web site on earth, but if no one ever goes to it? Tracking trafficking on internet sites is becoming one of the fundamental aspects of marketing, allowing companies to gauge the success of certain layouts, designs, clickstream paths, and products.

The blog informs marketing by creating an increased awareness of the need for marketers to assess their own web pages and “keywords” that drive customers and potential customers to the sites. The study provides marketers with clear benchmarks as to what internet-users want when searching on the internet; the closer to the top of the page your website appears after a search is generated, the greater a chance you have of getting a visitor to your site, and the greater a chance you have at being perceived as an industry leader.

Reading about this study improved my understanding of marketing by re-emphasizing to me that there is more to the field of marketing than target markets, design and creativity. Technical, quantitative and analytical skills are very necessary in many everyday situations that marketers encounter. Learning how to draw traffic to your website is one such example of marketers needing such skills in order to excel.

My critique of this blog is not so much on anything that Toby had to say, but actually in regards to a quote taken from the study itself. In the article entitled Search Marketing: Coming Out On Top which discusses the survey, the author wrote, “62% of search engine users click on links returned within the first page of search hits.” I think he may be missing the word “only”: “62% of search engine users [only] click on links returned within the first page of search hits.” If he didn’t forget a word, then what do the other 38% of searchers do? Skip the first page and start looking on the second or third? Or do they run a search and then just not click any of the results? Am I the only one that is slightly mystified by the quote??

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy soma online

http://mtsu32.mtsu.edu:11263/_disc2/00000194.htm#levitra

Monday, December 18, 2006 7:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey check out this college marketing company that offers motivated individuals jobs on their own campus.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009 10:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home